- 24/7 Protection- real-time scanning
- Protection against: malware, adware, spyware and Phishing scams
- Local firewall protection
- $29.99-$119.99 per year-three year for 3-5 devices
- Internet Security-
$39.99-$134.99 per year-three year for 3-5 devices
- Total Security-
$49.99-$224.99 per year-three year for 5-10 devices
Kaspersky Lab is a global cybersecurity company, which has been operating in the market for over 20 years. Kaspersky Lab was founded in 1997 & today it is one of the world’s largest privately owned cybersecurity companies & fastest growing IT security vendors worldwide, operating in almost 200 countries and territories worldwide.
Kaspersky Lab’s globally renowned team of experts took part in investigating some of the most complex cyber attacks ever known, including Stuxnet, Flame, and Red October. The company also cooperates extensively with INTERPOL, Europol, and national police bodies to actively assist them fighting the cybercrime.
Kaspersky Lab’s deep threat intelligence and security expertise are constantly transforming into next-generation security solutions and services to protect businesses, critical infrastructure, governments and consumers around the globe. The company’s comprehensive security portfolio includes leading endpoint protection and a number of specialized security solutions and services to fight sophisticated and evolving digital threats. Over 400 million users are protected by Kaspersky Lab technologies and they claim to be helping 270,000 corporate clients protect what matters most to them.
During our research on antivirus software, we’ve identified five key criteria for you to consider when choosing an antivirus software: 1. Threat Protection 2. Resource consumption 3. 24/7 protection/real-time scanning 4. Extra must-have features 5. Platforms/Devices accessibility. Our reviews will examine each antivirus software in accordance with how well it delivers on these five criteria.
How Kaspersky meets the 5 criteria?
1. Threat Protection
The most important feature is a Malware Scanner, which examines your system to detect and delete the harmful software or files. Quick and full scans are available, as well as a selective scan for specific folders, or even external devices like USB drives. Kaspersky is recognized as having one of the best detection engines in the business as many tests show.
Spyware is a kind of malware that doesn’t block or visually harm the natural workflow of your device but secretly integrates into the system to monitor your actions on your device, capture passwords, banking credentials, and credit card details. Kaspersky antivirus detects such pirate programs, blocks and deletes them.
A new improvement in Total Security 2019 lets you open any suspicious website directly from the notification area. You can also manually add suspicious or potentially dangerous sites to a list to use them only through the Protected Browser. There’s also an on-screen keyboard to type in account and password details securely, making them safe from the keyloggers potentially hiding in your system.
Privacy Protection is a Kaspersky’s nutty feature, helping to block any attempts at online data collection and phishing via a browser plugin. There’s even a webcam control option included, which means no one will be able to get an unauthorized access to your webcam.
Adware is less critical, but it is still nothing else than malicious software that uses your computer resources to automatically display or download advertising materials such as banners or pop-ups. This both slows down your device and often hinders your surfing experience. Kaspersky is capable of blocking and removing such programs as well.
Traditional security solutions, while effective in protecting against malware, are not capable of dealing with attacks where non-malicious tools and other advanced techniques such as APTs, zero-day threats, targeted attacks or ransomware are used.
2. Resource Consumption
As for the independent labs’ tests, Kaspersky didn’t show much of an impact on the PC performance.
Based on the multiple tests and users reviews, Kaspersky should have a low-to-no impact on your PC’s performance, though on low-range machines there might be a slight performance drain under heavy loads.
3. 24/7 Real-time Scanning
Kaspersky antivirus software is constantly running in the background and monitoring your system, as long as the device is on, detecting & blocking the malware before it gets on your hard-drive
4. Extra Protection Features
- VPN Internet Security. Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can provide a wide range of benefits. Surf the web safely and privately. Access to foreign content from anywhere in the world. Encrypt your connection to the Internet to block hackers from intercepting your data. All data you send & receive is transferred via an encrypted, secure channel – and your location and IP address aren’t revealed. (Basic package is 200 MB per day with an automatic location for free, Premium Packages available for extra charge)
- Safe Money. This is Kaspersky’s version of a dedicated, sandboxed browser, called Protected Browser, that separates your online financial activity from the rest of your system. This can include everything from logging in to your bank to purchasing something on Amazon. When it’s active, Safe Money automatically adds bank or payment system sites to its local database as you visit them. A pop-up then appears offering to open the site in the Protected Browser. A new improvement in Total Security 2019 lets you open a site directly from the notification area.
- Password Manager. It comes with a Total Security subscription, however, you need to download it separately. It contains all the needed features like password generator, banking data storage for auto-filling payment forms, website logins, app passwords, and secure notes. As a bonus, you are getting an image-upload feature, allowing you to keep sensitive visual files such as screenshots or other images in an encrypted database.
- Parental Control. Kaspersky parental control feature is designed for you to be able to control your most tender users out there. It helps you to monitor your children’s accounts on the PC, the access they have, and the sessions’ duration. The smart approach of Total Security 2019 for this matter is treating all similar actions and apps the same way: it means that once web-surfing, for instance, is restricted — it is restricted regardless of the browser agent you will try to us
- Kaspersky Cloud Protection. Uses a cloud-based database to detect and fix any dangers immediately
- Quarantine. Stores files that were modified or deleted during “disinfection”.
- Kaspersky Rescue Disc. Disinfects a critically infected computer when the operating system starts.
5. Platforms/Devices Accessibility
Kaspersky provides you with tailor-made security solutions
for all your family’s devices, covering all the possible platforms and operational systems:
Supported operating systems
All 32 and 64-bit versions of Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10
What’s the best about it — is that Kaspersky offers an all-in-one cross-platform solution — you can get a full coverage for various devices from laptops to smartphones to tablets to smartwatches.
The user interface of Kaspersky 2018 is very easy to understand. There are eight basic options Scan, Database Update, Safe Money, Password Manager, Privacy Protection, Backup and Restore, Parental Control, and My Kaspersky.
Overall, Kaspersky Total Security is very easy to use and understand. It doesn’t overwhelm you with features, but it has more than enough capability for powers users who want all the extras.
$39.95 / Year
- Essential & simple antivirus protection
- With the same performance capabilities as the more extensive packages
- Without many extra features.
$59.95 / Year
- Protection for the online work on PC, Mac & mobile devices
Kaspersky Total Security
$79.95 / Year
- Ultimate protection with the full list of extra features
- Includes 2 accounts to use the Password Manager and Parental Control
- Maximum protection package
As a standard in this market, all of the options include a 30 days free trial version, giving you the opportunity to try the software in action, before deciding how much you are ready to invest and how well it serves your needs.
Support and Customer Service
As with many software security companies, Kaspersky has several options for those who need support. You have a handful of options: support documents and articles, FAQs section, forums, live chat, email support, phone support, and active social media accounts. For premium customers, Kaspersky also provides 24x7x365 support for the following: phone support, remote computer takeover, remote virus removal, and tune-up, and complete system repair.
On top of that, there is a Premium support option available (only included in Kaspersky Dome Premium): 24/7 Phone, chat and email support. Kaspersky security experts will solve any problem on your PC, not only Antivirus-related. Also, they’ll cover any IT-related issues at home: from a router to digital cameras, printers e.t.c.