Panda Security Review
- 24/7 Protection- real-time scanning
- Protection against: malware, adware, spyware, web protection, and phishing scams
- Remote firewall protection
- ADVANCED- $29.49 per year per device
- COMPLETE-$47.49 per year per device
- PREMIUM- $77.49 per year per device
Panda Security is a Spanish multinational company specialized in the development of IT security solutions. Initially focused on the development of antivirus software, the company has since expanded its line of product into advanced cyber-security services with technology for preventing all sorts of digital threats and cyber-crime.
Panda Security launched the first antivirus with a daily signature file back in 1998. In 2015 Panda Security launched the first IT security service to combine advanced cyber-security (EPP) and the latest endpoint detection and response technology (EDR) with the ability to classify all running processes on a device.
Its patented technology TruPrevent, a set of proactive capabilities aimed at blocking unknown viruses, along with its Collective Intelligence model, the first system to automatically detect, analyze, and classify malware in real time, have been the precursors to the new Adaptive Defense security model.
While classic security systems are struggling to keep up with sneaky new malware, Panda’s smart technology, based on Big Data and AI, monitors every running application on your systems and classifies them all. Unlike most traditional antivirus solutions, which only take action if a process is found to be malicious, Panda’s technology detects attacks before they even commence.
As a result, the company has obtained a number of significant awards and acknowledgments:
- Included in Gartner’s Magic Quadrant for Endpoint Protection Platforms (2018)
- Identified as Europe’s sole EDR vendor in Gartner’s Market Guide for EDR Solutions (December 2015).
- Ranked among the 500 fastest growing companies in Europe since 1997.
- Included in Truffle’s Top 100 ranking of European software companies (2015).
- Panda Security has obtained a 100% detection rate according to the Real-World Protection Test
During our research on antivirus software, we’ve identified five key criteria for you to consider when choosing an antivirus software: 1. Threat Protection 2. Resource consumption 3. 24/7 protection/real-time scanning 4. Extra protection features 5. Platforms/Devices accessibility. Our reviews will examine each antivirus software in accordance with how well it delivers on these five criteria.
How Panda Security meets the 5 criteria?
1. Threat Protection
The system detects and removes malicious software on your device like viruses, adware or spyware.
Spyware can secretly monitor your actions on your device, capture passwords, banking credentials and credit card details. Panda Security is capable of recognizing such programs, block and remove them.
The system is scanning along as you’re surfing the Internet, detecting which websites are safe to visit & blocking the possibly dangerous websites and downloads.
Phishing Websites Protection
Panda Security is capable of recognizing and blocking fake & “spoof” websites, specifically created to steal your personal data, for example by sending you a fake email or message with a link with the aim of “phishing” your sensitive data.
Adware is less critical, but it is still nothing else than malicious software that uses your computer resources to automatically display or download advertising materials such as banners or pop-ups. This both slows down your device and often hinders your surfing experience. Panda Security is capable of blocking and removing such programs as well.
Traditional security solutions, while effective in protecting against malware, are not capable of dealing with attacks where non-malicious tools and other advanced techniques such as APTs, zero-day threats, targeted attacks or ransomware are used.
Panda’s unique features and approach:
Big data & machine learning
Panda’s approach is based on the behavioral intelligence. It means the software is designed to actually learn and develop over time, in order to instantly detect and block the malware similar to the previously met and scanned ones.
Identifies known & unknown malware, APTs, Fileless attacks, and other malicious behavior
Protection from all types of threats – constantly monitoring the system, logging and categorizing all of the running processes.
Prevention, Detection & Remediation
Detailed Forensic Information, security audit & real-time alerts
Comprehensive endpoint activity visibility
The entire Panda AV system works from the cloud. All Panda users are connected to the cloud, reporting their activity. If one Panda user gets infected by a brand new malware, it will be reported to the cloud instantly, which means, every Panda user will be now protected from that threat.
The Pros of the cloud-based system:
- Instant protection against brand new threats
- No updates required: all the work is done from the cloud so the product doesn’t need heavy updates to protect against the latest threats.
- Extremely lightweight, all the work is done from the cloud, which keeps your computer working smoothly. No impact at all on the system’s performance.
2. Resource Consumption
When it comes to the resource consumption, Panda Security has a huge winning advantage over its competitors. As we’ve mentioned before, the entire Panda AV system works from the cloud. Yes, there’s still a software you need to download and install on your device, but it’s very lightweight and discreet since all the scanning and detecting processes are running on the external cloud server. Which means they are not overloading your CPU/memory and not slowing down your device. That feature seems to be a game-changer!
On top of that, there is a Cleanup tool as a part of the package. Panda Cloud Cleaner will identify the system errors and programs impacting the performance of your device; optimize, clean and delete the junk.
3. 24/7 Real-time Scanning
Panda Security antivirus software is constantly running in the background and monitoring your system, as long as the device is on, detecting & blocking the malware before it gets on your hard-drive.
4. Extra Protection Features
- VPN Internet Security. Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) can provide a wide range of benefits. Surf the web safely and privately. Access to foreign content from anywhere in the world. Encrypt your connection to the Internet to block hackers from intercepting your data. (Panda VPN has both free and premium version:
- Free VPN: all Panda plans include a Free VPN (150Mb/day from automatic location).
- Premium VPN: unlimited bandwidth, 20+ virtual locations included in Panda Dome Premium (and Panda VPN standalone)
- Parental controls, app lock and call blocker. Monitor your children’s Internet use. Block access to inappropriate and harmful content. PIN-protect access to specific apps. Know what your apps can do and what information they can access. Add phone numbers to your blacklist and stop unwanted calls.
- Data protection and password manager. Secure and manage all your passwords with a single click. Access your most important login credentials regardless of time or place.
- Real-time device location, optimization, and remote control. Access your most important information regardless of time or place. Lock & Wipe your device remotely in case of loss or theft. Anti-theft alarm and get a photo of the thief after three failed attempts to unlock your lost or stolen device. Keep track of your loved ones’ location at any time.
- Virtual Vault to protect your money and confidential data.
- Firewall to protect you from entering the malicious and scam websites.
- Browser Manager. Easily allows users to clear history, cache and tracking cookies from their web browsers. Protect your Wi-Fi from hackers and piggybacking neighbors. Keep your memories, photos, and confidential data safe.
5. Platforms/Devices Accessibility
Panda Security provides you with tailor-made security solutions
for all your family’s devices, covering all the possible platforms and operational systems:
What’s the best about it — is that Panda Security offers an all-in-one cross-platform solution — you can get a full coverage for various devices from laptops to smartphones to tablets to smartwatches. For example, every license for a Windows PC can be also used for an Android device, meaning you are getting two devices protected, for the price of one, and by choosing an extensive “Panda Dome Premium” package, you are protecting any 5 devices at once (good for all family devices,..etc.).
Panda Security completely overhauled its UI for 2018. It now looks very modern and up-to-date, with a simple flat design and clear icons, somewhat reminding of the IOS interface. Most features are contained on one screen & clicking on any of the feature boxes brings up additional settings. Everything is easily accessible and self-explanatory. The sign-up & Installation process is also quick and seamless, according to the users’ feedback.
PANDA DOME ESSENTIAL
$23.49 / year
- Antivirus and personal firewall
- Wi-Fi protection and secure online browsing and shopping
- USB device protection
PANDA DOME ADVANCED
$29.49 / year
- Dome Essential
- Protection against ransomware and all types of viruses
- Parental controls, app lock and call blocker
PANDA DOME PREMIUM
$77.49 / year
- Dome Complete
- 24/7 unlimited premium technical support
- PREMIUM VPN: Browse online safely, anonymously and without limits (Available for 5 Windows and Android devices)
- 20 GB of secure cloud storage with Panda Cloud Drive
All plans are available for 1, 3, 5, 10 and an unlimited number of devices. Unlimited devices are subject to limitations on reasonable home use. Unlimited license registration applies for one customer in one household only. As a bonus, all of the options include a 1-month free trial version, giving you the opportunity to try the software in action, before deciding how much you are ready to invest.
Support and Customer Service
As with many software security companies, Panda Security has several options for those who need support. You have a handful of options: support documents and articles, FAQs section, forums, live chat, email support, phone support, and active social media accounts. For premium customers, Panda Security also provides 24x7x365 support for the following: phone support,
remote computer takeover, remote virus removal and tune-up, and complete system repair.
On top of that, there is a Premium support option available (only included in Panda Dome Premium): 24/7 Phone, chat and email support. Panda security experts will solve any problem on your PC, not only Antivirus-related. Also, they’ll cover any IT-related issues at home: from a router to digital cameras, printers e.t.c.
While Panda has some of the most well-developed self-help support documents and articles for an AV tool company, to access email support, users will need to fill out a rather complicated online submission form. Comparing to different support forms and email systems, this seems to be a bit tedious.